I'm not sure is it due to some new Google algorithm update or not. But in last 3 days I'm seeing significant improvement in search traffic.
Last year in second decade of August search traffic from Google dropped to 0. In overall it took about 5 month to recover. The thing is - I'm not sure what for I'm (was) recovering.
One of ideas - I had too much afiliate links, but on other hand - I doubt about that, because each link was in seperate page.
Anyway - here is my thoughts, you should do to recover if your search traffic is lost/ or you don't want to get banned.
- Don't panic! When we panic, we do a lot stupid things. Stay calm and investigate. Look into Google Webmasters for any messages, check if your site name ranks.
- Get backlinks. I guess it is still one of the most important things. I exhanged baclinks with few related sites, and maybe that helped me, maybe not. As said - I'm not sure. But backlinks wont harm you. Just do it right with right sites.
- Improve your on-site SEO. Check for those H1, H2, H3, title="alt", and other little SEO things - might help you.
- Use trusted Content Managment System, with good and trusted theme. In my case, I'm using Drupal - and SEO for Drupal is not out of box. If you use Wordpress, stay with it and don't play much with custom theme editing. Use Content Managment systems to spread your word. I'm developer, building things from scratch.. and so sometimes I might get in trouble with SEO (just sometimes). It doesn't mean Drupal is bad, and Wordpress is Good. Both are good. Just some are better out of box for SEO.
- Content, content, content - Content was, is and will be the king. Write great content that is good for people and search will follow.
- Social marketing - spend some bucks to get traffic from alternative sources, like Facebook