25 May, 2020 seen 1,062There is a good saying - a photographer needs to upgrade his/her gear just only once the existing gear is…
I'm an avid user of Canon 1200D DSLR camera user (branded under Rebel T5 in US). By now, in my arsenal there are two lenses - the kit 18-55mm lens and a telephoto 75-300mm lens. I have been shooting mostly landscapes (70%) and portraits or street photography (30%).
Most of the time I'm still shooting with kit lenses (set and forget), they have both helped and, yes - failed too, during my travels. I have made lovely photo stories from Spain, Italy, Georgia and many more countries, my photographs gets shared on Facebook and faved on Flickr. My most popular photography got more than 12,000 likes and shares on Facebook in just a few days. From my experience I can say - kit lenses just rocks - they are universal and will do most of the job.
For shooting landscapes I mostly use minimum focal length of 18mm, or using a tripod (you can actually achieve similar results shooting handheld) I sometimes make panoramic photography. Telephoto lens is great for portrait photography, but I rarely go higher than 100 mm.
It took me some time, and I would say I started to outperform my gear - I was like looking on two options, either to upgrade my camera or extended my glass arsenal buying some additional lens. I have decided to extend lifetime for camera body for at least one year, and thus made a decision to invest in a new glass.
To get some understanding what's hot and available I decided to browse through the best selling DSLR lens for Canon with a crop sensor.
A quick note: Please note this list contains affiliate links to Amazon.com, by clicking on links on this page and by making a purchase on Amazon site, I will earn an affiliate income from that at no cost to you. Prices for lenses listed on this page are retrieved by using Amazon Product Advertising API and is updated daily
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
Compact and lightweight—an outstanding walk-around lens Canon's EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is a great entry into the world of EOS prime lenses. With an 80mm effective focal-length on APS-C cameras, 50mm on full-frame cameras, it's an excellent prime lens for portraits, action, even nighttime photography. Its bright maximum aperture of f/1.8 helps it not only to excel in low light, but also to capture gorgeous, sharp images and movies with beautiful background blur thanks to its circular 7-blade design. An updated lens arrangement with new lens coatings helps render images with excellent color balance, plus minimized ghosting and flare. Performance is brilliant, with a stepping motor (gear-type STM) to deliver near silent, continuous Movie Servo AF for movies plus speedy, smooth AF for stills. A redesigned exterior with improved focus ring placement makes manual focus adjustments a breeze. Canon's most compact 50mm lens, the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM has a rugged metal mount, plus an improved minimum focusing distance of 1.15 ft. (0.35m) and a maximum magnification of 0.21x. Offering sharp performance for the best in movies and stills, it's a fixed focal length gem—the perfect lens for photographers and moviemakers to expand the creative possibilities with their EOS cameras.
- 50mm focal length and maximum aperture of f/1.8
- Great for portraits, action, and nighttime photography
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.15 ft. (0.35m) and a maximum magnification of 0.21x
- Stepping motor (STM) delivers near silent, continous Move Servo AF for movies and smooth AF for stills
- 80mm effective focal-length on APS-C cameras, 50mm on full-frame cameras
List price: $125.00 Buy this lens on Amazon
Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens
Incredibly lightweight, the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM is a fast and versatile lens with advanced AF and superior optics. With a 35mm equivalent focal length of 38mm, it's appropriate for a variety of purposes. The lens features optimized lens element placement and includes an aspheric element for high image quality from the center of the composition to the corners, and has specialized coatings on the lens elements to reduce ghosting and flare. To ensure excellent color balance, a 7-blade circular aperture provides superb out-of-focus detail. The EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM excels during movie shooting thanks to its STM motor that enables silent and smooth focus tracking (on EOS cameras with Movie Servo AF), plus a micro-stepping drive that keeps aperture changes quiet. The lens also offers full-time manual focus, manual AF adjustment (one-shot AF), and can focus down to a minimum distance of 0.5 ft. (0.16m). Delivering optical brilliance in a lightweight and unobtrusive construction, the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM is a great fixed-optical length lens for photographers looking to add a travel-friendly option to their collection.
- Wide-angle lens for Canon APS-C cameras (equivalent to 38mm on a full-frame camera)
- Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24mm 1:2.8, Minimum focusing distance of 0.5 ft./0.16 m; maximum magnification of x0.27
- Slimmest and lightest lens of the EF-S series
- Circular aperture (7 blades) delivers beautiful, soft backgrounds
- Full-time manual focus allows manual focus adjustment while in One Shot AF mode
List price: $149.00 Buy this lens on Amazon
Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
The EF-S 10–18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM lens combines optical excellence with cutting-edge performance, providing an ultra-wide angle of view in a compact, portable package, perfect for EOS cameras with an APS-C sensor. It has a 4 group optical zoom system and includes a large-diameter element, an aspherical lens element, a UD lens element and enhanced lens coatings for high-contrast, high-resolution images with minimal glare and aberration. A circular, 7-blade aperture helps ensure fine background blur and the Canon Optical Image Stabilizer system provides up to four equivalent stops of shake correction. The lens has a stepping motor (STM) and a refined focus mechanism for smooth and continuous AF during video recording. It also has a rear focusing system, plus a high speed CPU and improved AF algorithm for high-speed AF; and offers full-time manual focus for quick adjustments. The EF-S 10–18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM delivers reliable, speedy and quiet wide-angle performance, making it an ideal lens for everyday photography, travel, stills and video recording.
- EF-S ultra wide zoom lens
- Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 10–18mm,1:4.5 – 5.6
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.72 ft. / 0.22m
- Stepping motor for noise-free video shooting
- Optical image stabilizer
List price: $299.00 Buy this lens on Amazon
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens
Incorporating Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer technology, this Canon 55-250mm telephoto zoom lens captures long distance, low-light shots far better than many comparable lenses, helping you photograph the far-off action of athletes or zoom in for an intimate portrait with a blurred background. The high-zoom-ratio lens is equivalent to a focal length of 88-400mm in the 35mm format (when used on Canon EOS cameras compatible with EF-S lenses). More significantly, the image stabilizer effect creates an equivalent shutter speed of roughly four stops faster than the same size lens without an image stabilizer. In other words, if the slowest shutter speed you can hold a 250mm lens steadily is normally 1/250th of a second, this Canon lens will let you hand-hold shutter speeds as slow as 1/15th of a second. The lens also boasts a UD-glass lens element to correct chromatic aberration to create excellent image quality throughout the zoom range. Delivering an excellent performance at an affordable price for all photographers, the 55-250mm lens carries a one-year warranty.
List price: $99.99 Buy this lens on Amazon
YONGNUO YN50mm F1.8 Standard Prime Lens Large Aperture Auto Focus Lens For Canon EF Mount Rebel DSLR Camera
- Angle Range: Diagonal 46° /Vertical 27° /Level 40°
- Lens structure:5 groups 6 slices
- Minimum aperture: f/22 /Filter diameter/Number of available:52mm/1
- Closest focusing distance:0.45 meter
- Maximum magnification and field of view:0.15×160×240mm (when located to 0.45 meter)
List price: $82.00 Buy this lens on Amazon
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras - Fixed
Standard lens featuring superb quality and portability. Two high-refraction lens elements and new Gaussian optics eliminate astigmatism and suppress astigmatic difference. Crisp images with little flare are obtained even at the maximum aperture.
- Standard focal length 50mm lens is effective in a multitude of shooting situations and ideal for day-to-day shooting
- Elements/Groups: 7/6; Diaphragm: Blades 8; Filter Thread: Font 58mm
- An f/1.4 maximum aperture provides clear imaging in low light situations and shallow depth of field
- Ultrasonic autofocus motor (USM) operation is fast, smooth and virtually silent
- Two high-refraction lens elements and new Gaussian optics eliminate astigmatism and suppress astigmatic difference
List price: $399.00 Buy this lens on Amazon
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras - Fixed
A highly practical medium telephoto lens with superb delineation and portability, the Canon EF 85mm lens produces sharp and clear images at all apertures. Through computer simulations, the lens has been designed to give beautiful background blur, thereby bringing your subject into crisp view. The ring-type ultra-sonic monitor (USM) and fast f/1.8 aperture, meanwhile, helps the subject zip into focus in the viewfinder. And because the front lens group does not rotate during focusing, special filter effects are not affected. Best of all, the standard zoom lens--with its natural angle of view and perspective--captures the subject plainly, making it excellent for portraits and images that require a natural depth of field. As with all Canon lenses, the lens carries a one-year warranty.
- 85mm standard lens with f/1.8 maximum aperture for Canon SLR cameras
- Ring-type ultra-sonic monitor (USM) brings subject quickly into focus, Focal length: 85mm, Closest focusing distance: 2.8 feet
- Natural angle of view and perspective is ideal for portraits and natural images
- Designed to produce beautiful background blur; weighs 15 ounces
- Measures 3 inches in diameter and 2.8 inches long; 1-year warranty
- Lens not zoomable
List price: $499.00 Buy this lens on Amazon
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras (Certified Refurbished)
The optical system, construction, and exterior are the same as the EF 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 III USM’s. The difference is that it uses a DC motor instead of a USM to drive the AF.Format Compatibility: 35mm Film / Full-Frame Digital Sensor,Canon (APS-C).
Capture the far-off action of fast-paced sports or zoom in for an intimate portrait with the Canon EF 75-300mm telephoto zoom lens. The optical system, construction, and exterior are the same as the EF 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 III USM’s. The difference is that it uses a DC motor instead of a USM to drive the AF. As with all Canon lens, this 75-300 model carries a one-year warranty.
- 4.9-foot closest focusing distance; 32- to 8-degree diagonal angle of view
- Improved mechanism makes zooming smoother; front part of zoom ring sports silver ring
- Measures 2.8 inches in diameter and 4.8 inches long; weighs 16.8 ounces
- This Certified Refurbished product is Manufacturer refurbished, shows limited or no wear, and includes all original accessories plus a 90-day warranty
- 75-300mm telephoto zoom lens with f/4-5.6 maximum aperture for Canon SLR cameras
List price: Buy this lens on Amazon
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
The Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens is the first mid-telephoto macro lens to include Canon's sophisticated Image Stabilization. With the highest quality optics available, combined with near-silent Ultrasonic focusing and life-size close-up capabilities without an adapter, the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM is simply unrivaled. The Hybrid Image Stabilization Technology effectively compensates for both angular and shift camera shake during close-up shooting. The lens was developed to expand users' photographing range and allow a wider range of users to easily enjoy macro photography. Suitable for Nature/concert/potrait and close up/product photography
- 100mm focal length,160mm equivalent focal length on Canon APS-C cameras
- F2.8 maximum aperture; F32 minimum, Closest Focusing Distance- 0.99 ft./0.3m (maximum close-up magnification: 1x)
- Ring-type ultrasonic-type AF motor with full-time manual focusing
- Image stabilization, 4 stop Hybrid IS, 67mm filters
- Purchase this product between May 1, 2016 and July 30, 2016 and get 13 months of free damage protection from Canon. The product must be registered within 30 days of the purchase date to be eligible. Visit http://usa.canon.com/protection to learn more.
- Lens Construction: 15 elements in 12 groups.
- Canon's first mid-telephoto macro "L" series lens to include Canon's sophisticated Image Stabilization
List price: $1,299.00 Buy this lens on Amazon
Rokinon FE14M-C 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Lens for Canon (Black) - Fixed
Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical Ultra Wide Angle Lens for Canon; Lens is designed for full frame cameras but also works on APS-C sensors. The lens features 2 ED lens elements, one hybrid aspherical element, and one glass aspherical lens element. The lens offers an impressive 114-digree field of view on full frame cameras and 92.5-digree on APS-C cameras.
- Lens not Zoomable
- Minimum Focusing Distance of 10.8 inches
- This is the new updated UMC version
- 14 Elements in 12 Groups, Focal Length : 10.5 -14mm
- Aperture Rane: F/2.8 - F/22
- 6 Diaphragm Blades
List price: $281.06 Buy this lens on Amazon