Sea bridge in Palanga is probably the most popular tourist attraction in Lithuanian beach resort town of Palanga.
It reaches into the sea for 407 metres and is shaped in the form of letter L. The pier provides a chance to see the shore from a different perspective while going for a walk, at the same time, it is still opened for small tourist ships in summer.
Sea bridge in Palanga
Palanga Pier was first constructed in 1884, in order to revive the Palanga port. The steamship that was also purchased at the time allowed to successfully transport passengers and different goods to the port of Liepāja (Latvia). Unfortunately the pier soon became impossible to navigate due to sand that was brought closer to the pier during storms.
Under the Palanga Sea Bridge
After year 1888 the Palanga Pier gained popularity as a place to visit while going for a walk, which established a new meaning for the pier. Strong wind and waves of the sea damaged the pier over time, therefore reconstruction was carried out in 1998. After the reconstruction Palanga Pier has become an even more popular place among locals and city guests.