On the top of the abrupt Baznīcaskalns (Church Hill) stands the white masonry Talsi church – the dominant of the old town.
It was built in 1567 and later rebuilt for several times. A transept and sacristy are attached to a rectangular, elongated building.
Talsi Evangelical Lutheran Church
The square bell-tower is attached on the west side of the church, it has a pyramidal spire with a sphere, rooster and a cross. The church spire, the rooster, the tiled roof, the façade and the interior were renovated in 1996 – 1998. The relics of the church witness its history.
The most brilliant among them are the epitaph of Fishers’ family (1794) that was carved in limestone and have some Classicism style features, and the altar painting “The Ascension of Christ” (1876) by K. Šēnherts (C. Schönherr).
Two stained-glass windows by Ludis Bērziņš adorn the church (1986, a present by Mirdza Kangare-Matule). There are two bronze bells in the church tower (The oldest of them -1601). Many eminent priests have served in this church. Karl Ferdinand Amenda is the most popular because he is linked to the name of the musician and composer Ludwig van Beethoven.