5 October, 2021 seen 668What happens when bloggers, who are trying out some new photo equipment and who loves to cook comes together? Right,…
If you asked me how to make hamburger buns at home question some eight years ago - I would say - it's complicated and most probably impossible. Ask me today - and I will not only exactly tell - but I will show some cool pictures of both how to make burger buns at home and some really delicious home made burgers and variation of hotdogs.
Allow me to inform you - I'm not the original creator of what you will see next (I was allowed just to photograph) - but since we made burger buns at home - let me say - there is nothing impossible a man can handle. For today's photography I used 100mm zoom lens (My findings: 100mm are really cool for food photography).
- See my first attempts of simple homemade hamburger recipe (using buns bought at local supermarket)
For burger buns dough we took Belle's Hamburger Buns recipe from allrecipes.com
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (.25 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine the milk, 1 cup of water, butter, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then remove from the heat and let stand until lukewarm. If the mixture is too hot, it will kill the yeast.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour and yeast. Pour in wet ingredients and stir until the dough starts to pull together. If you have a stand mixer, use the dough hook to mix for about 8 minutes. If not, knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let stand until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 12 portions They should be a little larger than a golf ball. Make tight balls out of the dough by pulling the dough tightly around and pinching it at the bottom. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. After the rolls sit for a minute and relax, flatten each ball with the palm of your hand until it is 3 to 4 inches wide. You may want to oil your hand first. Set rolls aside until they double in size, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Mix together the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of water in a cup or small bowl. Brush onto the tops of the rolls. Position 2 oven racks so they are not too close to the top or bottom of the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove the rolls from the oven and return them to different shelves so each one spends a little time on the top. Continue to bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until nicely browned on the top and bottom.
Divide dough equally in ten to twelve parts
Dough for burger buns divided equally
Use your regular kitchen knife for slicing burger bun dough
Give it a tennis ball shape form
Put on a frying pan and leave dough to rest for some 30 minutes (so the yeast continue to ferment)
Press them flat and add sesame seeds
Put your burger buns in oven and bake for some 15 minutes
Freshly baked burger buns
Now it's time to prepare your homemade burger
For burger toppings you can use, tomatoes, pickles, salads.. just the usual stuff.. yes cheese goes in very well also.
Toppings for burger
- For patties recipe please see: Simple Homemade Hamburger Recipe With Photos
From dough leftovers you can create really cool hotdogs (sausage wrapped and baked in dough)
Homemade hamburgers and hotdogs