21 February, 2023 seen 4,377The former Soviet Union was a vast region that encompassed a number of countries with distinct cultures, economies, and…
Manglisi Cathedral or Manglisi Sioni Cathedral is a 6th-7th-century Georgian Orthodox cathedral near the town of Manglisi, Tetritsqaro Municipality, Georgia.
For me, it was interesting to observe the traditional cross from the Russian orthodox church decorating the top of this cathedral. Also, the coat of arms with two-headed eagle from Tzarist Russia is featured on the facade of Manglisi cathedral.
Two-headed eagle from Tzarist Russia
According to sources the first church was built in 4th century. The current cathedral was constructed in 6th-7th century. The cathedral went through a huge restoration in 1002.
The arch gate is the main focus of the western façade. On either side of it are arches based on triple decorative semicircles and decorated with several types of ornaments. This gate was built in the 19th century, as indicated by a Russian inscription on the restoration, as well as a profusion of stone-cut stones.
Russian inscription on the bell tower
In short, it's said that the bell tower was restored in 1852
The dominant mass of the whole temple is a huge dome with a red tile. There are six windows cut into the ornamentation.
In general, the simplicity of the Russian icons in the interior indicates that the long-term possession of the Russian regiment has been affected. On this façade is an inscription marking the 11th-century rebuilding, and Ro-Mel is now damaged, but in time Marie Brosse failed to read it.
As a result of the XIX century restoration work, only the frescoes of the dome, which represent the grand composition of the Ascension of the Cross, have survived from the XI century painting of the entire temple.
The Christian tradition links the Zion of Manglisi with several important shrines, including the Lord's Tomb and portions of the Holy Cross. Here is the miraculous icon accompanying John Mangle - the Virgin of Mangle. According to legend, parts of Tevdore Kvelteli lie beneath the stone cross directly south of the entrance.