The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin is located in Gori on Lomouri street 7, just opposite to the Gori Fortress. 

Some might be surprised noticing that this church looks like a typical Catholic church rather than a typical Georgian Orthodox church.

According to Georgia.Travel the temple was built as a Catholic church between 1806 and 1810. In 1920, it was heavily damaged by an earthquake.

View towards cathedral from Gori fortress

View towards cathedral from Gori fortress

During Soviet times, Gori’s Music School was situated in the church. The building was handed over to the Georgian Orthodox Church in the 1990s.

Currently, Samtavisi and Gori Cathedral belong to the episcopacy.